Bike trails are cropping up all over the country as municipalities seek to repurpose unused rail lines and get people out into nature. Breweries (sometimes housed in former mills or train stations) are often situated close to these trails, which is all the better to serve thirsty bikers, runners, and outdoor enthusiasts of all stripes.
If you manage a brewery, chances are you have groups of cycling regulars who stop in after logging their miles to enjoy one of your delicious craft brews. Maybe you’re already selling merch like stickers and shirts, but have you considered offering high-quality branded cycling socks?
People who love the outdoors know that socks can make or break a run, hike, or cycling trip. They’re always on the lookout for a great pair. Your patrons will jump at the chance to broadcast their love of bikes and beers with custom cycling socks branded with your brewery’s logo.
Creating custom, high-quality socks is easy and you can order small batches or larger inventories. Either way, we’ve put together a handy guide to help you create a stunning custom sock your patrons will love.
Tallboy: How to Make Large Orders of Custom Cycling Socks
Large orders (60 pairs or more) are great options for breweries wanting keep inventory on hand for their favorite outdoorsy patrons. The design is knitted straight into the garment using sustainable and eco-friendly fiber. You can get a large order of custom socks in a few easy steps:
- Submit an inquiry and a DeFeet representative will contact you to discuss the type of sock, design, and the size of your order. Then they’ll provide a quote.
- Choose from 5 sock options, all made from high quality poly or wool blends.
- Design as much or as little as you want. You can send full design, a logo, or just an idea. You’ll get to approve a mockup before your sock goes to production.
- Review and approve a digital mockup before your custom socks go to production. Wait for your custom socks to arrive! Orders typically are processed in 4-6 weeks.
Half Pint: How to Make Small Orders of Custom Cycling Socks
At DeFeet, you can order as little as one pair of custom socks, thanks to our special PrintMySock™ technology. This is a perfect option if you want to cater to a small group of cyclists, mountain bikers or hikers who love your brewery. Our friend Zach Overhold wrote a detailed guide to using PrintMySockTM at BikeRumor! Here are some of his top tips:
- Choose between two different sock types: the Levitator Lite or the All Day
- Channel your inner designer with the DeFeet Design Portal.
- For more support choose the “Paint by Number” option.
- For more creative freedom, select “Upload Your Own Design”
- Hi-res photos in portrait work best (avoid landscape orientation). Plan to spend some time lining up your images accurately.
- Add logos, text, or other images. The design portal will even take the white background out of logos and photos.
After you order, you’ll get a pair of one-of-a-kind custom socks in about a week.
Design Tips for the Perfect Sock to Celebrate Bikes & Beers
- Choose a Bold Design. Make your details big and bold. Remember, socks are small, fuzzy garments so broad, bold lines and shapes translate best. Consider using bold versions of your logo.
- Create a Full-Coverage Composition. Here’s where color psychology is your friend. Use brand colors to advertise your brewery. Shake things up with bright colors like orange and yellow for fresh energy and vitality. Or play up a love a nature with green and brown to evoke the earth. Lastly, place any images on the back ankle of the sock where everyone is likely to see it (as opposed to the heel or top of the foot where it will be hidden in a shoe).
- Use High Quality. Image When you’ve found the right image to cover your sock make sure it’s high quality. You need an image with great lighting, good composition, and high resolution (at least 300 dpi) for the best results.
- Make Sure your Font Matches the Vibe. Sometimes words are the best way to convey a message. When choosing text, be sure that the font you choose matches your vibe. Font elements like size, and typeface make a big difference in the overall design. Just be sure to avoid small or thin fonts, as they won’t be legible.
Start Customizing Today
Breweries and bike trails are a match made in heaven, as far as we’re concerned. The only thing that could make it better is a custom cycling sock that celebrates all things bikes, beers, and the great outdoors.
Using just a few design basics, you can create incredible, custom cycling sock that lets your patrons broadcast their love for your brews! Start customizing today to get high-quality, custom cycling socks that your patrons will love.